Thursday, September 10, 2009

Textbook for the project

Since this is an independent study class I thought I should find a textbook. Here is my first pick: Green Guide for Artists by Karen Michel.It's a beautiful book with some really good ideas. It contains recipes for glues and paints as well as lots of tips for "greening" the studio. It has nice photos and layout. It is a little thin, so I will definitely need to suppliment it with more scholarly sources. Intuitively, I question the true green potential of some of the recipes. For example, wheat paste require all this wheat to be grown, processed into flour and then boiled for 1/2 hour plus some ingredients like alum or quick lime to be added as a preservative; is that really greener than mass producing acrylic medium or glue? Probably, but how much really. Lots to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment