Monday, September 21, 2009

Works in Progress

So, I have three works in progress right now. I'd like to have lots of works in progress since I expect them each to be relatively simply constructed, but inspired and representing a compelling use of the material. I need more discarded art, I'll be looking at CCA, maybe Laney College, as well as some of the artist studios near here in Oakland, maybe a thrift or salvage store...where else can I find abandoned art to dissect.



I got the idea to add a head on to this one. The colorful face is really beautiful,I think, and it just floats there atop the seated figure so effortlessly, like a bobblehead. I think it needs something more in that grey brown area. Maybe an extension of the burgeoning grid form.


The figure is lashed to another canvas. It is mostly done, but could use some work on the lashing. Maybe tie the substrate canvas together with opened up figure. Maybe give it a more three dimensional look. The canvasette is weak and has torn easily where I went through it with the hole punch, whereas canvas from the canvas board is much tougher than the canvasette, which I guess is textured paper with gesso.


Don't know where I'm going with this one. I think I'll cut the panels down smaller. The paint circles should be melted onto the base, but how?

No comments:

Post a Comment