Thursday, October 15, 2009

Making the First Cube

I began production of the first cube today. After lining the cube mold with vaseline, I stuffed it with shredded and shattered art. Wearing latex gloves, I smeared some acrylic medium of each piece before putting it in the mold, so that It will all stick together. I stuffed it full, which is about 10" of art. Inside are bits of glass art, ceramic, canvas, paint and paper, my idea is that the more compressible elements will fill in the space around the glass and ceramic.




Using the car jack, I compressed it down: 10" of art compressed to 4" I wonder if i shouldn't have used more material.I didn't hear the glass and ceramic breaking as I cranked it down, which should be OK, as long as it all holds together in a nice cube. Now I have to wait until the acrylic medium dries a bit, I think. Maybe it won't dry inside there, but there are some holes in the wood. After a few days, I'll take one side off and see what it's like in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment