Sunday, November 29, 2009

MFA Open Studios in New York

Last weekend I visited the MFA Open Studios at Hunter College and Columbia University in New York. My main reason was to check out potential grad schools and see if either of those programs offered what I am looking for as an artist. I liked a lot of the work I saw. Also, I was hoping to find some inspiration for continuing evolution of the compressed art cube. I was interested by the work some of the artists were doing, and found some correlation to the questions I have been asking, I was struck by inspiration when I discovered these bales of cardboard on the sidewalk. (in New York, people just place trash and recycling in piles on the street for pickup) I think the baling method allows me to go bigger and to do away with messy and binding mediums. I immediately began work on a method for creating art bales.

If you would like to see photos of artwork from the MFA open studios, here is a link:

http://rendodge.smugmug.com/Art/MFA-Exhibitions-2009-Hunter/10440017_ksa2W#723986891_t4NJ2

No comments:

Post a Comment